Digital Scotland were very pleased to gain recent recognition for its “Smart Village Scotland” initiative with an invitation received from the European Congress of Local Government, to present Smart Village Scotland at the Foundation Institute for Eastern Studies at the ICE Krakow Congress Centre Poland.
This is one of several positive messages received from European and Scandinavian bodies that appear to be impressed with the bottom-up approach working across rural – tourism -digital integration at a rural level.
Building a rural digital Scotland
In Scotland where 2112 communities reside within 98% of the Scottish land mass, representing around 20% of the Scottish population and SME businesses, urgent focus needs to be afforded at a time when Smart Cities and City Deals are streaking ahead in development with record funding, whilst many rural communities are sadly being left behind. Tourism potential within rural Scotland is also important and massively undersold. Smart Village Scotland helps to directly address this through a strategy and action plan that works.
The Smart Village Scotland initiative also helps address the challenge facing the Scottish government whereby, despite being digitally connected communities and SME’s, around 52% have yet to embrace proactive digital connectivity in rural Scotland. With the substantial investment put into the Broadband infrastructure, which continues to grow to new communities, it is vital that effective use is made, whether at a simple social networking level or driving a success digital business economy, and soon.
Smart Village Scotland’s strategy to tackle the gap in the development of Scotland’s communities, its SME businesses, tourism and the digital economy in rural Scotland
Digital Scotland team is currently building collaboration and partnerships within Rural, Tourism and Digital channels to make this happen. Please let us know if you wish to discuss this exciting development.
Senior Consultant Digital Scotland
- Smart Villages enabling a digitally connected nation - February 4, 2019
- Smart Village Scotland – a European perspective - January 31, 2019
- Digital Scotland invited to European Congress of Local Government - January 8, 2019
- Bridging the gap in Scotland’s Rural, Tourism and Digital Economies - January 5, 2019
- Driving a Rural Development Strategy to boost Tourism in a Digital Scotland - December 16, 2018
- Tourism driving “Smart Villages” - December 16, 2018
- A Digital Evolution - December 16, 2018